Frequently Asked Questions for Home Sellers
- Commission rates can vary from brokerage to brokerage, as would the level of service. Buyers have many options as to the services and level of professionalism they desire, and such services are generally priced accordingly. Richard and Helen Haddow provide full service brokerage through ReMax Centre City Realty Inc..
How will you market my home?
- Richard & Helen provide full service brokerage, which includes many proven methods of marketing your home. Your home may be promoted through:
- Print advertising in publications such as the St. Thomas Times-Journal, Elgin County Market, London Free Press, the Real Estate Advertiser, the Lake Erie Beacon, and other publications that may be specific to your property (cottages, commercial proeprties, etc.)
- Internet exposure including MLS.ca, ReMax.ca, Richard & Helen Haddow's own site, and PortStanleyNews.com
- In-office exposure (picture board) in St. Thomas and Port Stanley
- Open houses for both the public and agents
- Email marketing to prospective buyers and other agents
- Richard and Helen Haddow's extensive personal contact network
What do I need to make my property ready for market?
- You only have one chance to make a good first impression!
Be sure to finish those odd jobs around the house. A thorough cleaning, fresh coat of paint and some extra attention to landscaping also go a long way to attracting home buyers. To create an inviting atmosphere, some sellers will hire the services of a professional home staging firm.
Richard and Helen Haddow also offer to sellers their professional knowledge on local area trends, and information on the specific interests of prospective home buyers.
How long is the listing?
- The length of time your house will be sale depends on a lot of outside influences, including supply & demand, listing price, specific property details (condition, features, location), and unique selling features and value.
In this market, an average time frame could be 30 - 60 days, though your property could sell the week you list it or the listing could expire with no offers.
The Listing Agreement - The Haddow's prefer a 6 month listing agreement which will typically cover 3 seasons and any changes in trends, mortgage rates, etc. Some publications only come out monthly, and a 6 month listing agreement allows exposure in these publications. This preferred time frame is a reasonable commitment for both the seller and agent given the market conditions and professional service provided by the Haddow's.
- The Haddows believe strongly in exposing your home to the public through open houses. Though an effective marketing tool, in some cases it can be a personal decision for the seller. Richard and Helen work with you, and any open houses are mutually agreed upon.
- When you hire the services of Richard and Helen Haddow, they become a team with you as the seller. Advertising content, open house schedules, and feedback from showings are things that are important and occur on a regular basis.
What other expenses would I have?
- In addition to the commission paid for a full service brokerage, there may be legal fees and disbursements
- If the home is your principle residence, there will be no GST due. The Land Transfer Tax is the responsibility of the buyer
- There may be a penalty for early cancellation of your mortgage - discuss the terms and conditions of your mortgage with your financial institution
- Additional items may become part of the negotiations, such as following a home inspection
Why should I list with the Haddows?
- Richard has over 20 years of experience as a top producing agent, and Helen brings 38 years of banking and financial experience to the table. The Haddows live in the area and have been involved in the community, developing a large sphere of influence over the years. Richard and Helen are full-time agents who have reached a high plateau of selling (Platinum - top 10% of agents) with integrity. Working with ReMax, they offer the benefits of a recognizable, international firm with access to additional services such as a relocation division and commercial division.
As proven performers, their sphere of influence and locations in St. Thomas and Port Stanley will help you home sell faster.